file sharing ubuntu Tiger

Jean-Michel LEON-FOUN-LIN jean-michel.leon-foun-lin at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 6 18:46:29 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got Ubuntu Hoary 5.0.4 installed on a PC laptop. The Netgear
WG511T PCMCIA card works fine and lets met go on the internet and
communicate with a G5 running Tiger 10.4.1 through a DSL modem/router.

This is the network setup I would like to have:

- the G5 must be able to read all the files in my linux home folder.
It should only be able to write into a public folder (a drop box) on
Ubuntu.
- the PC laptop must be able to read my home folder on Tiger, and
should only be able to write to Mac OS X's default Public folder
- I've got a second internal drive and and external Firewire drive
with my music. I would like Ubunutu to be able to read these drives
too (/Volumes/…)

I have decided to use samba to achieve this but it doesn't work as I
would like it to:

- from Tiger I have read / write access to the whole home directory
on Ubuntu (but I want write access to the Public folder)
- from Ubuntu, Nautilus complains that it can't display the content
of my Tiger home directory though it seems to connect to it. But if I
set up another share, different from [homes] but with the path of my
home folder I can browse it in Nautilus. However i can't drop a file
into it.
- /Volumes/Multimedia (my second drive) doesn't show in Ubuntu's
network browser. /Volumes/Extra (the FW drive) does show but Nautilus
complains it can't display the content.

Below is my Samba config file on Tiger. I know it is a kind of
Frankenstein config gathered from bits and pieces I could find in
Ubuntu's forums, FAQ, guides and so on! But I'm a newbie so please
tell me if I'm doing something not safe for my system.

--------------------

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

wins support = No

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     path = /Users/jeanmichel
     browseable = Yes

# By default, the home directories are exported read-only. Change next
# parameter to 'yes' if you want to be able to write to them.
    writable = yes

# File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
# create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
    create mask = 0700

# Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you
want to
# create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
    directory mask = 0700

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for
Domain Logons
# (you need to configure Samba to act as a domain controller too.)
;[netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/samba/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /tmp
     printable = Yes
     browseable = Yes
     public = Yes
     writable = No
     create mode = 0700

[Tiger Home]
     comment = Tiger G5 Home Directories
     path = /Users/jeanmichel
     public = Yes
     available = Yes
     browseable = Yes
     writable = Yes
     create mask = 0700
     directory mask = 0700

[Tiger Multimedia]
     comment = Tiger G5 Multimedia Directories
     path = /Volumes/Multimedia
     public = Yes
     available = Yes
     browseable = Yes