Wifi small problem.

Mike oziemike at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 01:04:34 UTC 2005

Hi all

Until recently I had been a Mandrake user for many years, but have made
the switch to Ubuntu (Hoary). One of the main reasons is that just
nothing seemed to work easily when it came to configuring my LG LS-50a
laptop with it's Centrino BG2200 wifi.

Ubuntu found it and I was able to configure it very easily which was
great. When I did get the wifi operating under Mandrake I had a problem
and that same problem exists now under Ubuntu, so it is not an Ubuntu
problem as such. Any help though to look for this problem would be
appreciated.

Suffice it to say, Ubuntu boots beautifully and up comes the wifi no
problems. While I surf away or have the mail checking every few minutes
all is fine. The moment the actual Internet activity drops off for more
than 10 mins or so, the wifi loses connection and nothing I seem to do
will restart it short of a complete re-boot. I have disabled all power
management, screen savers etc with no luck. I have taken it off DHCP and
given it a fixed address, still no luck.

As long as I leave the mail ticking over it will go for days, but stop
that activity and sure enough after a very short period the wifi will
lose connection.

Can anybody give me an idea where I should look?? This is a dual boot
laptop with XP and there are no such problems under XP.

Mike