[Breezy] X won't start, following today's update ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Jul 4 15:15:53 UTC 2005

> Happened to me yesterday, but apt-get update/upgrade sorted everything
> out this morning.

Hmmm, interesting, you did an "upgrade" not "dist-upgrade" ?

I am not too clued (euphemism here ! ;o) about what one should do to
update breezy every day, "update" or "dist-upgrade" ? Devs please ! ;o)

My very rough understanding is that "update" will only update packages
that are already installed, whereas "dist-upgrade" will do that, plus
also install new packages, and remove packages. So since Breezy is
obviously changing all the time, and packages do get added and removed,
if just to test things to see what works or not, I assumed that if I
really had to do a "dist-upgrade", not a simple "upgrade".

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

In the meantime, I will try re-sintalling Colony #2 and do a simple
"upgrade" instead of "dist-upgrade", see if that keeps X working after
the update or not...

--
Vince