[Breezy] X won't start, following today's update ?

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Mon Jul 4 14:39:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 04:32:24PM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Installed Colony #2 the other day, worked fine. 10 minutes ago I do my
> daily "dist-upgrade" and see loads of stuff related to X.
> I update and then X refuses to start, stating that "etc/X11/X is not
> executable"... does anyone get the same, or is it just me ?

No, I definitely got that as well. The installation actually
didn't complete for me, which is good -- I get the sense
that had it completed, I wouldn't be able to run X at all.

They definitely broke a symlink: if you look at
/usr/bin/X11, you get

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 2005-07-04 00:12 /usr/bin/X11 -> /usr/bin

So that's bad. I'm not sure why, but I'm running X just fine
even with that broken symlink.

More serious was that the /usr/X11R6/bin/X symlink was
broken. When I manually relinked it to Xorg-debug (in the
same directory) everything worked fine.

But now I'm not going to do any upgrades to my X packages
until all this stuff gets fixed.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org