usb digital camera problems

Graham gct3 at f2s.com
Sat Jul 2 08:57:07 UTC 2005

On Saturday 02 Jul 2005 01:27, Corey Bettenhausen wrote:

> >    Spent the afternoon trying to download pictures from my Minolta
> > dimage e201 digital camera.....without success.
> > The message log says  USB has recognized the
> > camera...but that's all.  It apparently recognizes the camera (USB
> > mass storage type) as a scsi disk for pete's sake.
[snipped]

The Minolta Dimage e201 is a model expressly supported by gphoto2 as a
USB Mass Storage Device.  However, there is extensive documentation on
setting up cameras using the Mass Storage protocol, and the best of it
(IMHO) starts at:

http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

The list of supported cameras by gphoto2 can be found at:

http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

If you run KDE at all, I'd suggest ising digiKam.  Its a nice gui front
to gphoto2.  I haven't looked too deeply but I assume there will be
other software for Gnome.

As far as your comments go about the camera being recognised as an scsi
disk through USB Mass Storage is concerned, this is correct.  Here is a
quote from the page at
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html:

"USB Cameras

Nowadays USB cameras are the most common. Since every USB device is
identified by vendor and product ID combination, it can be detected
easily on the bus. Usually one can safely assume that devices with
similar USB IDs are identical, from the USB protocol point of view, but
we'll see later that there are notable exceptions.

For the protocol, there are 2 USB standardized protocols that digital
camera uses: USB Mass Storage and PTP (aka Still Image Device). If a
camera doesn't use one of these two protocols, it surely uses a
proprietary protocol, and this is were things get uneasy: most
manufacturers don't disclose these protocols for various reasons. So
reverse engineering has to be performed.

USB Mass Storage

USB Mass Storage is the protocol used by hard drives and removable disks
devices over USB. This is basically SCSI over USB. Linux 2.4.x and the
*BSD systems handle it by default in their USB stack. All you need is
to mount the correct device to the mount point of your choice."

HTH
--

Graham