cursor arrow clear, but nothing else

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 02:06:07 UTC 2005

On 6/29/05, Dougie <fisheromen1031 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got up this morning after leaving my screen locked all night to find the
> screen image all scrambled up. I could move around my cursor arrow and it
> was clear as day, but the rest of my screen wasn't. It didn't matter if I
> was logged back in or running the screensaver. The only thing I could do is
> press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace which after a few moments brought me to a normal
> login screen. When I logged back in everything was fine.
> This is the only time Ubuntu has done this to me. Anybody seen this
> before? What is the deal?

I saw it once, I just assumed that it was a screensaver that crashed.
Could have been something with Xorg i suppose, but I can't confirm.
If it happens again check the X server logs, also before just restarting
X, go to a virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F1 through F6) and find out what
is going on with the processes, run things like top, ps ax, etc.

I haven't seen any problems in months though, do you have all the
updates?

Regards,
Todd

-fisher