kernel panic array 3

martin yazdzik yazdzik at myway.com
Mon Jan 31 04:47:37 UTC 2005

Dear Friends,

Great new is that the partitioner works without making windows unbootable.
This is an immense step forward.

The bad news is ubuntu is not bootable, which, however comforting my ability
to reboot into debian or windows may be, defeats the point of the exercise.

Although I can mount and read all the installed ubuntu files on their
partition from my debian partition, I get the following(approximate...)
message when booting into ubuntu.

VFS: cannot open root device "hda4" or unknown block (0,0)
Kernel Panic not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block
(0,0)

I am hoping this is a newbie grub configuration error, although this is this
first time I have had an issue.

I have attached the initial install files, and the only errors I see are
discover and lspci, and a failure to load ide modules.

Would a real linux user please check that the grub config is correct before
I start exploring more complex issues?

If so, then can someone read, please, the attached, and see what I did
wrong, or if there is a real issue?

Relevant grub:
# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda1
title  Windows NT/2000/XP
root  (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title ubuntu
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-2-386 root=/dev/hda4 ro

(This worked fine with last week's gentoo install, by the way)

fstab on debian install:
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda2       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda1 /windows  ntfs  defaults,ro,gid=windows,umask=002   0 0
/dev/hda4     /mnt/ubuntu     ext3    defaults         0      0

Obviously, I can, and could always, read the ubuntu installed stuff from
debian, so it mounts according to my debina kernel.

Ubuntu's version, read from within debian:
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda4       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

This seems accurate.

Partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1        2671    21454776    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2            3698        7184    28009327+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3            7185        7296      899640   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda4            2672        3697     8241345   83  Linux

It thus appears unlikely that I have made my usual stupid errors.

I am not at all sure if the two lines at the beginning of the hardware
summary are either accurate or relevant.

I am however interested in the filaure to find the IDE modules in the
syslog.

Or have I just done something stupid?

All good wishes,

Yazdzik