Feedback on the Live CD (Hoary Hedgehog).

Petri Pennanen suvarin at home.se
Sat Jan 29 12:56:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 16:48 -0700, Holger Rumland wrote:
> Issue 1: I have the Toshiba Satellite M30-241 Laptop. As I boot
> up the Live CD I get always a resolution of 800x600. This model
> has a TFT 15,4 inch-W-XGA screen with a resolution 1280x800, 16.7 Mio
> colors. The Graphic chip is the nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200 with 64 MB
> Video RAM. The Live CD should recognize automatically the 1280x800
> resolution.

It would be good if you cold post the contents of a few files, to make
it easier for the X-gurus to find out what the problem is:

        /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
        /var/log/Xorg.0.log

also run this in a terminal (replace username for your username and
attach the file that is generated):
        dmesg > /home/USERNAME/Desktop/dmesg

The filenames might be a bit different, I'm still on Warty with XFreeF86
so I wouldn't know.

> Issue 2: Copying from Gimp to Open Office is still not working. There
> should be the capability that every Gnome program can cut and paste to
> every other program in UBUNTU, like it is in Windows. Otherwise this
> will be a problem of acceptance as a desktop environment, as corperate
> users are used to Windows and its functional behavior.

Good testing. Please add bugs you find to the bugtracker, otherwise they
are very likely get lost in the flood of posts on this list.

        https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

> General I would like also to see the Clam Antivirus to be integrated in the
> UBUNTU Desktop environment. It would be very ignorant and naive to think
> that viruses cannot harm Linux in the future. Prevention is always better.

I thought ClamAV was for scanning mail servers for MS Windows viruses?
It might be a nice addition to the supported packages. The correct way
to suggest a new package is by doing it in the wiki, so why not get to
it ;)

        http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/SeedManagement
        http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/SupportedSeedProposals

For Warty this wikipage might be useful:

        http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WartyClamAV

- Petri