Sharing partitons

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Jan 28 20:16:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 17:37 +0100, Carsten wrote:
> A1ex schrieb:
> Sharing /home seems to me the only useful partition to share. That's not
> a big problem except that you have to care about the user IDs: If user
> foo has UID 500 on one distribution but 1000 on another one he can't
> fully access his own home directory. If all users have the same ID on
> both systems, sharing /home is no problem.

Also, if you are running different versions of the same software, they
might get confused by their dot files (particularly older versions
seeing newer versions' updates).

/usr/local can also be a nice path to share, particularly if you put
larger programs in there.

--
Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt (ID 23A02B1F)