Sharing partitons

Carsten carscht at jpberlin.de
Fri Jan 28 16:37:25 UTC 2005

A1ex schrieb:
> I have multiple Linux's installed, all sharing a common swap partition.
> This seems to work OK.
> Question:  Is it practical to share other partitions such as /home,
> /root, /var and others between
> a number of Linux systems?  Which partitions could be shared and which
> not.?  Benefits or problems?

Basically you should not at all share partitions containing /var or
other distribution-specific directories. Because in that case i.e.
syslogd on one distribution will overwrite the logfiles written by the
other one. You may be lucky and have little damage but I can't see any
use you might have.
Sharing /home seems to me the only useful partition to share. That's not
a big problem except that you have to care about the user IDs: If user
foo has UID 500 on one distribution but 1000 on another one he can't
fully access his own home directory. If all users have the same ID on
both systems, sharing /home is no problem.
Carsten