screen resolution stuck at 640x480 in Hoary

H Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:27:28 UTC 2005

Salut Michel!

Thanks for the reply :)

> What is your graphic card ?
Intel 82815 815 EM, but it is of the i810 class, if there's such a
thing, because I can use the program i810switch to turn the external
monitor on and off.

The full hardware specs of my laptop can be found here
http://paleo.amnh.org/bjburger/installing-vaio.html#hardware

> Did you try sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
yep, tried that. But that program crashes somewhere after I select the
resolution, saying "integer value expected" or sth. So I guess there
is something wrong with those settings.

> In my laptop Toshiba, I have 1024*768 with nvidia card with no problem.
> (Hoary Array 3)
> With my office computer,  Intel Graphics 845 GL, I have the same problem.
> With Warty, driver i810, 1024*768
> With Hoary Array 3, driver i810, 800*600 or 640*480 only with 53 Hz.
> I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but I have the same problem.

Huh, I guess it's a real bug then ... Maybe has to do with the Xorg
drivers for i810 then. But I should repeat that _in_principle_ hoary
can run at 1024x768, I just have to manually select it every time I
restart gdm. Gdm starts in 640x480

Thanks again, Henk