screen resolution problems in Hoary

H Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 00:09:16 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I just upgraded from a clean new install of Warty to Hoary. I have a
Sony Vaio SRX77 and have had great experience with Redhat 7.2/Debian
unstable/ and now Ubuntu Warty on it so far.

Now I have a vanilla install of hoary on a second partition.

Here's the problem.
*  When I boot and gnome starts (or I restart gdm), the display is
stuck in 640x480.
* I can manually change it to sth else with gnome-display-properties,
but upon restarting gdm, we're back at 640
* when an external monitor is not attached, higher resolutions don't
even appear in gnome-display-properties.

Now here's the interesting thing:
Neither xorg.conf or the xf86config file show a 640x480 option. The
only allowed resolution is 1024x768, so I have no idea how it gets to
640x480.

And the xorg.conf and xf86config file are identical, and identical to
the one I run in warty.

Anybody have an idea how to keep the system in 1024x768?

Thanks so much, Henk