debian "*.deb" vs. ubuntu "*.deb"

azz ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Jan 27 19:59:04 UTC 2005

>From the website:

Development libraries needed

libqt3

pthread

libxml

libbz2 - not strictly required, but without it you won't be able to
create or view BZip2-compressed sharelists.

libssl - OpenSSL libraries if you wish to use SSL for transfers.

Debian users may want to do apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev libxml2-dev
libbz2-dev libssl-dev.

"Can I just use the debian package unedited?"
Maybe.  You can enable universe and try to install the package by
hand:

sudo dpkg -i dcgui*
and it will complain about missing dependancies.  do
sudo apt-get -f install
to pull in what you need from Universe.

If the program crashes when you run it, you should remove it and
compile it from source.  You will need build-essential along with the
packages named above.

"that mean I can add debian mirrors to my apt/sources.list ?"

You can do whatever you want.  It probably will cause you a big
headache and I would not do it, but...

--
azz