intel driver for xorg on hoary

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sun Jan 23 11:04:11 UTC 2005

Christoph Sturm wrote:

> http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm#1
>
> does this driver offer better performance than the standard xorg
> driver? is it planned to include it in ubuntu main?

The best performance on these cards (IMHO) comes from the framebuffer
device in the kernel.  In my case module i830.  You then enable
framebuffer support in X and install the mesa-dri libs.  You should then
get reasonable performance on the console framebuffer and in x.org,
including hardware excellerated openGL.

Intel told a few fibs in earlier drivers for these boards and thats why
performance used to be so poor but developers worked out what was really
happening and this is why current free software versions of the driver
are so good.

plus you won't be tainting the kernel by using drivers with doubious
licences.

> thanks
>  chris

sparkes