Installation all mucked up

Owens, Christopher Christopher.Owens at analog.com
Thu Jan 20 21:24:24 UTC 2005

Hello all!

After subsisting on debian for many years, I decided to give Ubuntu a
try on my new (refurbished) laptop, an IBM X20, with 128MB of RAM.

However, although the installation seemed to go okay, many things are
not working after rebooting!  The network, power management, and audio
are the things that concern me the most.  It's especially odd since the
network was definitely working during the install process, and I
distinctly remember seeing a message noting that this appeared to be a
laptop, and setting up some kind of laptop utilities, which seems like
it ought to include power management, either APM or ACPI.

It seems probable to me that something went wrong during installation.
Since I haven't really done any work on the unit yet, I am happy to
reinstall, but does anyone have any advice about what I did wrong to
make it go better this time?

Thanks for any help!

Chris Owens
Audio Rendering Technology Center