Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 19 05:05:53 UTC 2005

<quote who="wayover13">

> > What is the advantage to using Ubuntu over stock Debian for this? You'd
> > likely end up with a smaller system using Debian, but would probably
> > have to do more apt-get(ting). Are any of the user-friendliness features
> > of Ubunut lost by doing a custom install? . . . Does automount of usb
> > and other media still work?
>
> I can confirm that automount of disks does not work "out of the box" with
> this Icewm minimal Ubuntu install, having now tried it. The nice feature
> of having inserted CD's/disks/USB drive appear iconified on the desktop
> when you insert them, as happens under stock Ubuntu, seems to be a feature
> of the Gnome desktop. Undoubtedly there's a way to make this happen in
> Icewm, but that sort of tinkering is beyond my time limits at the moment.
> So, with the minimal install some of the user-friendliness features of
> Ubuntu (courtesy the Gnome desktop environment, it seems) do get lost.

Run the 'gnome-volume-manager' daemon, and 'gnome-volume-properties' to
configure it.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: Stuttgart, Germany                      http://2005.guadec.org/

    "Think video. Think text flickering over your walls. Think games at
    work. Think anything where a staid, link-based browser is useless."
          "This person wrote for Ab Fab, right?" - Rich Welykochy