Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

wayover13 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Jan 19 05:04:01 UTC 2005

wayover13 Wrote:
> What is the advantage to using Ubuntu over stock Debian for this? You'd
> likely end up with a smaller system using Debian, but would probably
> have to do more apt-get(ting). Are any of the user-friendliness
> features of Ubunut lost by doing a custom install? . . . Does automount
> of usb and other media still work?

I can confirm that automount of disks does not work "out of the box"
with this Icewm minimal Ubuntu install, having now tried it. The nice
feature of having inserted CD's/disks/USB drive appear iconified on the
desktop when you insert them, as happens under stock Ubuntu, seems to be
a feature of the Gnome desktop. Undoubtedly there's a way to make this
happen in Icewm, but that sort of tinkering is beyond my time limits at
the moment. So, with the minimal install some of the user-friendliness
features of Ubuntu (courtesy the Gnome desktop environment, it seems)
do get lost.

James

--
wayover13