Typing vowels with macrons

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Tue Jan 18 21:00:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 22:15 -0600, Kent Frazier wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am a student of languages, and I need to be able to produce the
> accented characters of the languages I study.  The international
> layout works for most of these, but I am studying Latin, and I need to
> be able to produce vowels with macrons.

You will no doubt get a lot of advice on making up custom keymaps. if
you don't object to reaching for the mouse, just add the Character
Palette applet to a panel and create a custom palette. Then it is a
simple matter of selecting the character you want and middle-clicking it
into your document. This works with abiword and OOo, though not with
textmaker.

Contact me off-list if you want a screenshot or more details.