Ubuntu KDE

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Jan 18 02:39:59 UTC 2005

On 17 Jan 2005, at 14:39, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> For an otherwise moderately balanced e-mail I have to call you on this
> claim:
>
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:30:26 -0500, Buffalo Soldier wrote:
>
>> 2) Both GNONME and KDE are better than Microsoft/Windows.
>
> However much I hate Microsoft and its ill-conceived Windows spawn, I
> do have to admit that Windows is still quite a bit ahead of either
> GNOME or KDE where it really counts: "it (more-or-less) just works"
> and does so without crashes (which I can't always say for GNOME/KDE).

Having got WinXP for Xmas (an unfortunate side effect of getting a new
desktop), I can safely say that both Gnome and KDE are much more
useable. Frankly, In terms of usability, WinXp is considerably worse
than Win98, although (thankfully) more stable.

But I didn't come here to fan flames ...

<snip>

> Expose (OS X, show all windows) would be one nice feature to see if
> it's not
> patented, fixed menu bars are another).

Take a look at Kompose - http://kompose.berlios.de/ (for KDE)

John