Debian or Ubuntu?

nocturn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Jan 17 08:29:33 UTC 2005

David Wrote:
> I've just built and installed two desktops - one of them a laptop, and
> two
> servers.
>
> For the desktop, it was a "no-brainer". Ubuntu is very slick. I've got
> no
> opinion about KDE/Gnome, so gnome was fine for me.
>
> I did the servers AFTER the desktops and decided that Debian Sarge was
> the
> way to go. The reasons were:

I find Debian Sarge unacceptable for a server until it hits stable
(security updates are a must).
I'm hesitant about warty because it has kernel 2.6 and udev (Sarge will
ship with 2.4 as a default, 2.6 as an option).

I think Ubuntu will win on my servers because there is no end in sight
for a Sarge release (could be tomorrow, could be after Hoary or
Grumpy).  And who knows if Sarge won't be the only stable branch the
next decade (sorry to say this, but Debian is destoying it's own distro
this way).

With Ubuntu, I know the release dates of each new version, and I know
how long it will be supported.   This is a good thing in planning
maintenance and upgrades.

--
nocturn