'sd_mod' locks install

Nicholas Pappas nick at rightstep.org
Sat Jan 15 19:27:13 UTC 2005

	I've been trying to install Ubuntu for a few days now, only to have it
freeze each time during the install.  I've tried a few alternate install
methods, each generating their own problems.
	With the standard install method, I've found that the following driver
is locking the install process:

ata_piix (Intel Corp. 82901EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage)

	When the 'sd_mod' modules (part of the above driver) is loaded, the
installer just hangs.  Since I have an SATA drive, and only an SATA
drive, this is a do or die driver.
	Anyone know of a way around this situation, or will I just need to wait
for the next release?

	Nick

	P.S.
	The current install of Hoary doesn't even reach the text menus.  It
freezes well before that.