Gimp crashes because of "umlaute" in the filename!?

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 14:19:00 UTC 2005

At 13:34 13/01/05, Joerg Desch wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:46:14 +0000
>Neil Woolford <neil at neilwoolford.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The fix was to set UTF-8foo as the character encoding.  (In this case
> > foo is your appropriate locale.)
>
>I've tried it, and it works. At least for Gimp. After switching to
>de_DE.UTF8 (with restart), some apps makes problems. One example is aterm.
>Another is my favorite file manager mc. Even dpkg-reconfigure doesn't
>display text as expected. So I switched back to de_DE.ISO-8859-1.

I think I did have to tweak some filenames after making the change to UTF8, but
I can't remember the details now.  I'm certainly trying to standardise on
UTF8, as
it does appear to be the favoured system for future development.  (Ich
schreibe
ziemlich oft auf Deutsch, und mein Bruder auf Franzoesich.  Dass heisst wir
brauchen umlaute usw.)  I'm on my Windows system at the moment, which isn't
set up with any language support.

>The good news: every thing is working again.
>
>The strange news: gimp is now working too. And I don't know why!

Glad to hear it.  Though I always worry if things start working without me
knowing
why...

>OOo had never have problems (at least for me). Only nautilus couldn't
>associate files with accented characters. Is the whole stuff a Gnome
>problem?

Interesting.  I think you may well be right;  the Open Office problem was
with opening
files by double-click in Nautilus, there was no problem opening them from
within Open
Office using its own file browser (IIRC).

Neil