Switching video cards : "HowTo" ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 13 11:22:25 UTC 2005

> Here is my Ubuntu XF86Config-4 file: (or bit's thereof)
>
> David

Ah, thanks David. Apparently all the modules are exactly the same as my
ATI card, so it looks like none of them is manufacturer specific. So I
just left them all alone.
I only replaced 'ati' with 'nvidia' in teh Device section, and it seems
to work !

X starts, and I get a full screen Nvidia logo for a few seconds just
before GDM displays the log-in screen ! :-)
I installed the 'nvidia-settings', which gives me a really nice control
panel ! :o)
Then, it seems that my mouse cursor problem is now history, it doesn't
turn black anymore ! :o)
And even better, something I had given up on : full screen XawTV now
works !!! :o))
2D performance seems better too, Gnome feels faster when switching
workspace quickly using the keyboard (Alt+Control+Arrow keys), and
dragging windows also seems a tad faster/smoother.

So I am well pleased, it cured some of my problems, as I was guessing.

Sadly it still hasn't fixed my Game, 'SearchAndRescue' (in Universe).
THe game still won't use 3D acceleration. With the ATI card, it uses to
return an error about "Alpha channels". But this time, no errors
whatsoever, yet, it doesn't use 3D. Frame rate seems better than the ATI
card, but the graphics are still as "blocky"... :o(
Other OpenGL games do work though (Foobillard, or Tuxracer), so it's
working fine. Just not for that game... :o(

Vince