Switching video cards : "HowTo" ??

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Thu Jan 13 09:24:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:17:21PM -0500, Will Backman wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 10:42 -0800, Brian Craft wrote:
> > I recently did the same thing. The problem was that I'd manually
> > modified the config file sometime previously. The reconfigure tool keeps
> > an md5 of the file and won't overwrite it if it has been manually
> > changed. However it doesn't warn you before discarding your inputs.
>
> One of the biggest pains of the debconf system.  I don't like having
> intermediate formats for my configuration files.  It reminds me of
> sendmail and M4.

This isn't the fault of debconf (which is often incorrectly blamed for
this sort of thing). It's the fault of packages that use debconf.
Debconf was never intended to become an intermediate format for
configuration files, or anything like it.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]