Switching video cards : "HowTo" ??

mark ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Jan 12 17:08:37 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez Wrote:
> > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> > OK your way through it all ,just give it the amount of video RAM
>
> Okay, did that...
>
> > and highest screen res when asked for it.
>
> Oops... it didn't ask me for any resolution.. :-/
>
> > then
> > sudo vi /etc/modules
> > add the line "nvidia" (without "") to the end of the file
>
> Done.
>
> > then sudo vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change
> > "nv" to "nvidia"
>
> Oops again... the file has NOT been updated. And if I delete my old
> one
> (ATI card), and run the config tool again, no config file is
> created... :o(((
>

> Vince

>From the comments section of -XF86Config-4-:
Code:
--------------------
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
  # again, run the following commands as root:
  #
  #   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
  #   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
  #   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
 Note that this is from Warty, not Hoary...

--
mark