openssh-client/server dep. problem w/ ssh-krb5

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sun Jan 9 13:10:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:06:38AM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> Since the openssh-client/server split seems to be an Ubuntu and not a
> Debian decision, I think this is a valid bug for bugzilla...

As mentioned, it was my decision in Debian. I did make the change a
little earlier than I might otherwise have done, because the
client/server split was useful to make openssh comply with Ubuntu's
security policy; but the wishlist bugs for that split had been open for
a very long time in Debian and it was something I'd always intended to
do anyway.

> It would be nice if ssh-krb5 provided openssh-client so that installing
> it wouldn't remove ubuntu-base (or ubuntu-base could "Depends:
> openssh-client | ssh-krb5").

ssh-krb5 isn't a package supported by Ubuntu, but you could certainly
file that bug in the Debian bug tracking system, saying that it would
make life simpler for users of the packages in experimental. That
packaging change will become part of Debian unstable in due course.

As it stands at the moment, ssh-krb5 could usefully provide both
ssh-client and ssh-server. I think it would be better for it to provide
those virtual packages (which openssh-client and openssh-server also
respectively provide) than to provide the real packages openssh-client
and openssh-server; we can work out what to do about those in
ubuntu-base later.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]