Upgrade to hoary: 640x480 (solved)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Jan 6 14:39:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:28:55PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> I checked /etc/X11/X.org and saw that it contained
>
>   Option  "HorizSync" "28-49"
>   Option  "VertRefresh" "43-72"
>
> those options worked in Warty, but not in Hoary:

Actually, I just realized that I don't know if my XF86Config-4 contained
Option "HorizSync" or just plain HorizSync.  When I resumed dist-upgrade
after gimp's failure to install, apt did not install xserver-xorg,
rather, it upgraded to xserver-xfree86 from hoary.  I then manually did
apt-get install x-window-system-core which pulled in xserver-xorg and
removed xserver-xfree86.  Then I rebooted and discovered that both
XF86Config-4 and xorg.conf were the same.  XF86Config-4 might have been
damaged by the upgrade to xserver-xfree86 from hoary.  That would
explain why downgrading to xserver-xfree86 from warty did not fix the
problem.

Marius Gedminas
--
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.