Upgrade to hoary: 640x480 (solved)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Jan 6 14:28:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

Today I apt-get dist-upgraded into hoary.  This email contains both the
problem and its solution.

  Minor snag: the upgrade aborted complaining that gimp wants to
  override a file that belongs to gimp-data (or the other way around, I
  don't remember exactly), so I had to repeat the apt-get dist-upgrade.
  I suppose gimp or gimp-data (or both) should declare that they Replace
  (or Conflict?) the warty version of the other package, or something
  like that.

After a reboot I discovered that X.org was limited to 640x480 (instead
of 1024x768).  Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log I discovered that the
reason for this was an incorrect horiz sync range:

  (--) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768 TFT LCD panel detected and active
  (--) SAVAGE(0): - Limiting video mode to 1024x768
  (WW) SAVAGE(0): Generic Monitor: Using default hsync range of 28.00-33.00kHz
  (WW) SAVAGE(0): Generic Monitor: using default vrefresh range of 43.00-72.00Hz
  (II) SAVAGE(0): Clock range:  10.00 to 220.00 MHz

and then a bunch of

  (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)

among other modes.  I checked /etc/X11/X.org and saw that it contained

  Option  "HorizSync" "28-49"
  Option  "VertRefresh" "43-72"

those options worked in Warty, but not in Hoary:

  (WW) SAVAGE(0): Option "HorizSync" is not used
  (WW) SAVAGE(0): Option "VertRefresh" is not used

I tried apt-get installing xserver-xfree86 from hoary.  Same problem,
only this time in XFree86.0.log rather than Xorg.log.  I also tried
downgrading to xserver-xfree86 from warty -- didn't help.

Finally after some RTFMing I realized that xorg.conf should have just

  HorizSync 28-49
  VertRefresh 43-72

without any Option "..." wrappers.  I fixed it, installed xserver-xorg
again and had my 1024x768 resolution.

I tried to reproduce the problem by doing dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
and pressing Enter on all prompts.  I expected to see the incorrect
Option "HorizSync" etc. directives in xorg.conf.  Instead I saw that
no config files in /etc/X11 were modified, according to timestamps.
*shrug*

  Another minor note: upgrade to hoary enabled autohinting in
  /etc/fonts/local.conf which made my fonts look blurry.  I did
  dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig and answered "No" to the answer about
  autohinting, but local.conf still said autohinting was enabled.  I
  shrugged and changed the setting with vi.

Marius Gedminas
--
31337 is a prime number, go figure...