Mozilla Thunderbird

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sun Jan 2 08:47:59 UTC 2005

This discussion has evolved somewhat, but to return to the original
point I would add my voice to those who would support a shift from
Evolution to Thunderbird... others keep complaining about Crossover
Office and the like because they're commercial products and therefore
violate the GPL... in fact somebody, I recall, suggested that to install
anything that was not GPL was violating the spirit of Ubuntu (it was a
few days back)..

The fact that Ximian Evolution is now called "Novell Evolution" and is
now being promoted as an integral part of the "Novell Linux Desktop"
which is far from GPL, would worry me if I were Ubuntu...

How long until, having tied Evolution in more closely with their desktop
products, Novell decide to charge for it.

In contrast Thunderbird, and the Mozilla Project, is still firmly
committed to GPL.

Sean