Mozilla Thunderbird

Romeyn Prescott prescor at digirom.potsdam.edu
Sun Jan 2 03:22:31 UTC 2005

At 6:16 PM -0800 1/1/05, Keith Irwin scribbled:

>I'm not a good apologist for this sort of stuff, but I think that what
>the evolution team is trying to do is commoditize, or refactor, a bit of
>functionality.  In other words, the PIM stuff is a database, with the
>email, IM, or other clients as user interfaces above that.  I'm thinking
>it's what Gnome folks want in their goal of making things easier.
>People seem to like that sort of thing in the Mac UI, don't they?

Yes, the Mac's integration among apps is nice.  Mail and Address Book
integrate, iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie/iDVD all have the same basic
interface and share their databases with each other to some degree.
Your iPhotos are available in the Desktop/Screensaver prefs, etc.

But if you don't want to use any of that, you don't have to.  For
example, I still use Eudora because I have yet to find another MUA
with a comparable Search feature.  I regularly search for multiple
things in my vast archive of E-mail: like a message with the word
"special" in the subject, "smith" in the From: header, and the phrase
"short bus" in the subject.  And we use Meeting Maker here where I
work, so that is my calendar and address book.  I manage just fine.
All that other stuff comes with the Mac OS, but I don't have to USE
it.  I can even throw it all away if I want.

Likewise, if I don't want Evolution, I uninstall it, load up
Thunderbird, and I'm off and running.

...ROMeyn
--
signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm