how to use WINE

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 14:32:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 23:21 +0100, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
>I use the wine package from universe.
>
>You can run the windows application with "wine windows_application.exe".
>
>Or to install a windows application for wine try this "wine
>setup_of_windows_application.exe"

A bit more... if you have  the XDesktop.org menu packages installed
(menu,  menu-xdg), you should have shortcuts for new Windows apps show
up under  a Debian/Applications/Wine submenu.

On my system, though, this seems a little broken as I would have files
created in my ~./menu directory, but they would never show up in the
Debian menu. OTOH, when I created a /usr/lib/menu/wine file and made it
world writable, new entries would be created there. However, they do not
show up until the next reboot, even if I run 'update-menus' by hand.

OTOH, windows installers which want to create a Desktop shortcut end up
creating a very handy .kdelink file on the desktop.

<<<John>>>

P.S. Speaking of the Debian menu, I've noticed that I'm getting double
entries for almost everything in the menu. Anybody know what might cause
that?