SmartLink modem/kernel headers (Re: [Fwd: Modem installation])

Mary Gardiner mary-sounder at puzzling.org
Sun Feb 27 11:52:27 UTC 2005

Note that I answer one of the actual problems below, but first a
suggestion: since it looks like you're trying to install the SmartLink
modem drivers, there's a guide at
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BinaryDriverHowto under the heading
"SmartLink modem". This worked at the time of Warty/4.10 (I wrote it!),
I'm yet to check it with Hoary. It's not significantly less work, but
will put the driver under the control of the package system so that you
can remove it via apt-get/synaptic/etc.

On 2005-02-27, Neil Woolford <neil at neilwoolford.co.uk> wrote:
> At 10:21 27/02/05, you wrote:
>>I think my problem relates to an instruction in README :
>>
>>3. Review and edit 'Makefile' (if need):
>>
>>    In many cases you will need to correct path to your local kernel
>>    source tree:
>>
>>         KERNEL_DIR=/path/to/linux
>>
>>    Default KERNEL_DIR is '/lib/modules/<kerne-version>/build'.
>> Many
>>   Linux Distributions use directory '/usr/src/linux-<version>' also.

In order to get the kernel headers installed (which is enough of the
kernel tree for most modules), you need to install the
appropriate kernel header packages.

You can tell the value of ARCH like this:

$ uname -a
Linux flay 2.6.8.1-5-k7 #1 Sat Feb 12 01:54:50 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
                     ^^ this bit is the architecture

On Hoary, this is the "linux-headers-ARCH" package, where ARCH is 686 or
k7 or whatever.  On 4.10/Warty, this will mean installing the
"linux-headers-2.6-ARCH" package.

The headers will then be in /usr/src/linux-<version>

-Mary