Warty menu : CAUTION !!!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Feb 27 06:21:25 UTC 2005

Ohhh, the joy of computing.

I just gave the Ubuntu backport a try.
I selected a few apps, and installed everything at once.
Some of the icons were not showing up in the menu.
So I did a "killall gnome-panel", as I have been taught recently on this
list.

BAD MOVE ! Not only the expected icons didn't show up, but most of the
menu entries are now GONE ! At a rough guess, I lost at least 20
items !!  And not only stuff I added myself from Synpatic, but also some
of the stuff that came as default with Warty !
So much stuff is missing, I don't even know what I must re-install, I
don't know where to start ! :-/

Boy, I used to swear at Hoary's lack of menu editor, but now Warty's
menu is losing it's mind as well ! Why is it Linux stuff always breaks
something when it adds something new. One step backward for each step
forward... that's not gonna lead anywhere :o(
Are menus that chellenging to get working right ? Is it more difficult
than developping a kernel or device drivers ?!
Sometimes it's hard to keep the faith, and I am forced to look at Win XP
with greaaaat respect ! :-/

Vince, everything goes wrong tonite, better go to bed... :-/