Warty menu : CAUTION !!!

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 27 08:20:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 07:21 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>Ohhh, the joy of computing.
>
>I just gave the Ubuntu backport a try.
>I selected a few apps, and installed everything at once.
>Some of the icons were not showing up in the menu.
>So I did a "killall gnome-panel", as I have been taught recently on this
>list.
>
>BAD MOVE ! Not only the expected icons didn't show up, but most of the
>menu entries are now GONE ! At a rough guess, I lost at least 20
>items !!  And not only stuff I added myself from Synpatic, but also some
>of the stuff that came as default with Warty !
>So much stuff is missing, I don't even know what I must re-install, I
>don't know where to start ! :-/
>

>Boy, I used to swear at Hoary's lack of menu editor, but now Warty's
>menu is losing it's mind as well ! Why is it Linux stuff always breaks
>something when it adds something new. One step backward for each step
>forward... that's not gonna lead anywhere :o(
>Are menus that chellenging to get working right ? Is it more difficult
>than developping a kernel or device drivers ?!
>Sometimes it's hard to keep the faith, and I am forced to look at Win XP
>with greaaaat respect ! :-/
>

>Vince, everything goes wrong tonite, better go to bed... :-/

It's not just Ubuntu. I use Mandrake a lot and they have arguably the
best menu system on any Linux distro and it sometimes plays up. And when
it plays up it really throws a tantrum.
I spent 45 minutes in an office a week or two back running and rerunning
the menu editor just to get CrossOver Office to appear in the menu. It
took four reboots to get it back to normal.
The menu system under Windows is a delight compared to Linux.

Linux eh? You can compile your own kernel, build complex stable
networks, write your own drivers but don't go asking for a stable menu
system.

;-)

David