Website design : what to use ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Feb 26 19:25:42 UTC 2005

Oh, no ! I said I didn't want to open that can of worms again ! ;o(

> Would not opening a firefox window

I don't like Firefox.

> and a vi window and then clicking "refresh" on Firefox after doing a :w! on vi not achieve that objective?

I think you are mistaking the "Preview" and "WYSIWYG" features...
I obviously use a browser to check that things display as intended.
I only use the code view and WYSYWYG views in conjunction, to build and
maintain the site, not to check rendering. I obviously use a browser for
that, because that's what people will then use to display the site.

> I do think these WYSIWYG editors are counter-productive...

Yes, so far the only two Linux WYSYWYG I tried are very poor compared to
DW. So I waste more time than I save, so I often prefer to just type
code directly, or start VMware and DW when it's too awckard to code or
modify by hand.

> fact is that HTML may be WYSIWYG, but it's not WYSIWYVG (ie. What You See Is What
> Your Visitors Get)... you may get it, but they may not... therefore it's
> better to work on strict web principles and code your pages using best
> practices...

That would be great. Sadly I don't have enough courage to read all the
web standards (I assume it comprises of dozens or hundreds of pages ?),
nevermind memorize them... I am not a machine...

> and when you want to see where you've got to, flick to
> Firefox (or Konquerer or whatever) and see how you're doing !

I don't like to shoot in the dark... I feel nervous when I can't see
where I am or am going...

Please, don't put more oil on the fire ;o)

Vince, each to their own, respect, freedom, choice...peaaaace...