Winmodem installation - newbie

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 16:35:23 UTC 2005

At 16:05 25/02/05, you wrote:

>I would like to move to Ubuntu from Slackware, but I am having grief in
>trying to install either of my soft modems - Lucent or Smart Link.  I have
>drivers for both - which were OK with Slackware.
>
>The error messages I get when I try to "make" (with the Smart Link) are

>make[1]: gcc: Command not found

The default installation of Ubuntu doesn't include the gcc compiler which
make is trying to call here.  Basically there isn't space on the
distribution disk...

It is available from the Ubuntu repositories via synaptic package
manager.  Of course, to use that you'll need to get on line...

If you don't have any alternative way of getting on line to pick the
package up, do post again as I'm sure someone will be able to help out...

(It is possible to download the packages using another system and transfer
across;  a bit fiddly compared to the package manager, but feasible.)

Neil