How about installing new hardware AFTER system installation?

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Feb 22 15:41:21 UTC 2005

Ubuntu is great, and it only becomes better. Hardware support is
increasing, and most cases all hardware is detected automatically.

But what are the mechanisms to install hardware after installing the
Ubuntu system? I believe plugging in a usb-mouse while X.org is running
will not make it work - last time I did it at my girlfriends computer I
didn't know how to get it to work without editing the config file.

Is this changed? Or is there being worked on this to change, and let
added hardware automatically detected while X.org is running? How about
new soundcards, videocards, etcetera? (ok, let's not switch videocards
while X is running - but you get the point ;-) )

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Eric