No sound after updating to polypaudio

Svend Sorensen ssorensen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 05:11:33 UTC 2005

Polypaudio is not working on my system.  Everytime I try to start it
through the gnome-sound-properties applet, I don't get any polypaudio
daemon running.  Running it from the command line, via the
/usr/bin/esd wrapper, yeilds a polypaudio daemon which runs for a few
seconds, then dies.

Next, I changed the /etc/polypaudio/daemon.conf file to increase
verbosity, and not daemonize and ran /usr/bin/esd again.  This gave me
the polypaudio interface.  Then I tried running paplay to play a wave
file (CD-quality).  This resulted in paplay giving a "connection
refused" error, and the polypaudio daemon exiting with the following
errors:

source.c: created 1 "output_monitor" with sample spec "S16LE 2ch 44100Hz"
sink.c: created 1 "output" with sample spec "S16LE 2ch 44100Hz"
module-alsa-sink.c: using 12 fragments of size 546 bytes.
module.c: Loaded "module-alsa-sink" (index: #5; argument: "sink_name=output").
sink-input.c: created 0 "sample:x11-bell" on 1 with sample spec "S16LE
1ch 44100Hz"
polypaudio: sample-util.c:207: pa_volume_memchunk: Assertion `c &&
spec && (c->length % pa_frame_size(spec) == 0)' failed.
Aborted
<<

Because it was loading the ALSA module, I disabled this in
/etc/polypaudio/default.pa to get polypaudio to use the oss module.
This time paplay worked, and the daemon did not exit.

My sound card is a M-Audio DIO 2496 which uses the snd_ice1712 ALSA module.