TV support

Nathan Howell nathan at crapbox.org
Wed Feb 16 19:09:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:21:03 +0000, rkimber wrote:

> Thanks, but isn't it mythtv that's the problem?  I've tried on other
> distrib. and run into endless dependency issues and I was told you have to
> recompile qt, etc.  Also, I've run into device problems, etc, but I assume
> a deb package could set up all the correct devices and permissions.

Mythtv is packaged in the ubuntu  multiverse, which makes it easy to install.
:-) Hoary has the latest version (0.17), while warty is stuck with 0.16.

> Actually, a package with everything but the firmware would be great, but
> is that possible? (So long as the firmware extraction program is present
>  that's not a problem).  But I thought that ivtv had to be compiled with

Yeah, it would probably have to be packaged without firmware, leaving it
up to the user to deal with that.

>  the specific kernel headers  and source in place. But I know less

The right linux-headers package should take care of that. You might have
to create a /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the headers after
installing them.

> about these things than you do. And I never got any of it to compile
> on an amd64 with either 32bit or 64bit system.

I haven't tried it on an amd64 box.

Nathan