RPM Heck...( was Re: MEPIS vs. Ubuntu)

Martin Schmitz ubuntu at zangpo.org
Sun Feb 13 17:04:10 UTC 2005

DirtDawg wrote:
> As a linux user with no internet connection, I have to throw my two
> cents in. Since I have to download and install everything manually,
> RPMs ARE hell. I was shocked when I installed software on Ubuntu
> without spending forty-five  minutes searching the internet for library
> after library. after library.

That's a major problem with all RedHat based distros. It has nothing to
do with rpm vs. dpkg which is pretty much the same but with the kind of
meta package management which comes with the distro and builds some sort
of repository. SuSE-Linux for example had YaST as a package management
frontend from the very beginning to resolve dependencies. Now you even
have the possibility to run apt with SuSE.

Martin