(OT) List problems???

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:55:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:22:39 +0700, Brian Durant <globetrotterdk at gmail> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Since switching the account that I receive list postings on to my
> Gmail account, I have started experiencing problems with my postings
> and other peoples postings as well. Sometimes I seem to get postings
> half way through a thread, with the first couple of postings missing.
> Other times, I post a message that seems to be recognized by Gmail as
> having been sent, but it never shows up in my Inbox as a posting from
> the list. Are others on the list experiencing this? Is this a liste
> server problem or is it only a Gmail thing? Have Gmail users on the
> list experienced the same thing?

I find that's a "feature" of all mailing lists that you or the list
owner can set (send copy of your own post to yourself). Depending on
your setting and/or the mailing list's setting you *may* get a copy of
your e-mail sent back to you by the list serv. If you do, then you
will and should see a posting by yourself appear in your Gmail box,
regardless of whether someone else replies or you post is in reply to
something.

If you send an e-mail and you don't have a copy bounced back to you by
the list server, then you will NOT see your post unless (as pointed
out in another response) your post was in response to another e-mail
and/or receives a reply to your e-mail.

If your behaviour is different from the app (I presume you were using
an app) you were using, this (probably) means that you had a
particular setting in your app that automatically filed all email sent
to the list(s) as part of the list.

AFAIK GMail is working fine with the list -- I don't *appear* to be
losing e-mail. Once in a while I will get a whole batch of _old_
e-mails from the list, but that seems to be an issue somewhere else on
the web since people not on GMail have the same experience.

PS Since you're on GMail I'd advise (encourage) you to investigate the
filters and labels. I have a filter apply a label depending on from
address (e.g. ubuntu.com) and also archive the email -- archiving the
mail gets rid of it from my inbox but still lists it in the particular
label category to which it belongs. I have numerous mailing lists that
are handled flawlessly, and, any _private_ or partially private
ALSO show up in my main inbox, as well as in the label category.

Eric.