MEPIS vs. Ubuntu

wallijonn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Feb 11 06:43:40 UTC 2005

If he had asked me which distro to suggest for a
from-Windows-World-to-Linux-newbie I would've suggested SUSE. No matter
what version of MS Windows I run I have to tweak and Ubuntu let's my
tweaker side go wild. I no longer do KDE and much prefer the newest
GNOME. But that's just me. People who are new to Linux usually start
with KDE as it initially looks better. Now if I were a geek, I'd
probably like Gentoo more, along with going back to Slackware. But my
Gentoo days are over and Slack had dropped GNOME support.

I'm sure that Mephis is a great distro - and there's plenty of room for
everyone, from BSD to Slack to Ubuntu to Gentoo and everything in
between (like SUSE and Fedora for the main liners).

I find that people don't necessarily choose a distro by what it does
but by what hardware it can get working. When I couldn't get Fedora and
SUSE to work with my ATI video card and 3Com NIC, they worked fine with
Ubuntu. I was home. Gentoo VidaLinux does GNOME and XOrg with my ATI
but the compile times - oy ve, no thank you - maybe if I had a cable
modem...

No, Ubuntu isn't for everyone. A distro for everyone might be SUSE. But
Ubuntu is for me - and I don't see myself switching back to SUSE,
Fedora, RH9, Slackware, FreeBSD, IPCop, Bit Defender, Mandrake, or
Immunix anytime soon. If I were to try any other distros it would have
to be Libranet, Yoper and Memphis - but I won't. Why bother? I love
Ubuntu. ymmv.

--
wallijonn