accessing partitions

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Fri Feb 11 03:14:48 UTC 2005

thank you, Jonathan, your simple instructions worked.
i don't like using the cli though,
too much potential for damage through typos and more.

>  >> i formated my master HD with 3 additional
>  >> logical partitions: /, /home, and /data
>  >> but i can not write to data, it is owned by root.
> why could it be owned by root ?
i chowned it with -R and now i can write to it.
a partition and mount are not touched by
the unix permissions system, right ?

>  >> also, how do i mount the partitions on my slave HD ?
>  >> and the other two partitions on master ?
>> Each HD partition is considered a device and has a corresponding file
>> in /dev
>> fdisk -l
>> will produce a report of all devices attached to your computer.
> i can see them browsing the file system.
>
>> with these devices you can then use the mount command to mount these
>> devices to your filesystem. eg
>> mount /dev/sd** /some_mount_point_on_your_file_system
are you using sata drives ?

> can i do this in the gui ?
is it possible that there is no gui script/application
that can be used to mount partitions in debian/ubuntu ?

>> Mounting filesystems is made easier with /etc/fstab
>> You should take a look at this file
> is there a utility to edit it in the gui ?
i had a look at it.
you call that easy, eh :-) ?

kind regards     philippe