GUI Wireless Tools

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Fri Feb 11 01:07:00 UTC 2005

Ed Fletcher wrote:

>> niran wrote:

>>> I'm running Warty and I use Debian's netapplet package:
>>> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/netapplet
>>>
>>> If you're running Hoary, I think there's a package in universe that
>>> depends on Gnome 2.9 libraries. Netapplet hasn't been all that great
>>> for me though. When I tell it to use the wireless interface, it doesn't
>>> get an ip address for it (or maybe it tries and fails). I run dhclient
>>> on the interface afterwards to get everything set up.
>>> Another option is NetworkManager:
>>> http://people.ubuntu.com/~thom/network-manager/
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to try that one out because Warty's ndiswrapper
>>> version doesn't report it's capabilities to HAL, so NetworkManager
>>> ignores it. If you're not using ndiswrapper, it might be worth a shot.
>>>

>>> The wiki page on this topic is here:
>>> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/NetworkMagic
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where Ubuntu is heading post-Hoary in regards to these two
>>> projects, nor what the "shame about the implementation" is about in
>>> regards to NetworkManager (it'd be nice to see that added to the wiki),
>>> but for Hoary it looks like netapplet is the preferred solution.
>>

>> Hi Niran:
>>
>> I'm running Warty without the ndiswrapper, so I'll have a look at
>> NetworkManager.  The SMC2835 works great at home but I've had lots of
>> problems in places like coffee shops where I don't know the channel
>> nor the BSSID.  I'll load NetworkManager tomorrow and give it a try on
>> Thursday.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Ed
>

> Okay, I installed NetworkManager as per the web page quoted by Niran. No
> problems.  But it didn't activate when I logged out and logged back in
> again.  So I rebooted and got an error message during the boot sequence
> when NetworkManager was trying to load.  It complained about iw_scan.
> Didn't have a clue what that was and I didn't have a command called
> iwscan on my system (hmmm . . . still don't).  So I googled iw_scan and
> found a page that mentioned it wasn't available in the older versions of
> wirelesstools.  So I fired up Synaptic, did a reload and there was an
> update available for wireless tools.  Did the update and rebooted
> again.  NetworkManager loaded correctly.  The icon (looks like a radar
> screen) appeared in the right corner in the top task bar.  It scanned
> and picked up my network and what I think is probably my neighbors
> network.  I selected mine and I was connected.  NetworkManager then shut
> itself down.  But the icon is still there with the rotating radar image
> going around.
>
> Oddly enough, my wireless connection was enabled during boot and I saw
> that I was able to connect to the timeserver and update the time.  Once
> I  logged in and NetworkManager started, the wireless connection was
> down until I selected a network.  And since NetworkManager is no longer
> [...]

Well, NetworkManager works a treat.  I'm in the coffee shop (free
wireless) and it picked up five different signals.  Selected the one I
wanted and it made the connection.

Only thing different from yesterday is that NetworkManager stayed
running this time.  At home, it shut itself down after making the
connection.  So if I wanted to switch networks, I could do it without
having to log out and log back in again.  Sweet!

This is truly painless.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams