new look installer... why?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 18:04:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:50:51 +0100, Ubu Roi <ravachol at home> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:38:55AM -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> > -- a good installer makes for a happy customer and reviewer. I
> > appreciate the simplicity of *no* configuration, but all you have to
> > do is look at Mac OS X to see that simple package selection is not
> > beyond the typical computer "user". OS X gives you the option to
> > install language packages, a variety of printer packages (Epson, HP,
> > etc.), applications, and developer tools (IIRC). Ubuntu does need a
> > simple interface for such groupings -- an intermediate between the
> > full blown custom (which requires a pretty hefty dose of *nix
> > knowledge) and "just take our word for it" installs.
>
> My opinion is that a slick graphical installer should not have the
> highest priority at the moment.
>
> What I would like to see is:
> 1) the ability to check (and maybe correct) the installers choice of
>    monitor/resolution/depth/videocard selection before the end of
>    install.
> 2) The option of choosing a non graphical boot into a console screen.
>    So that you can 'startx' yourself when needed.
>    (reserve runlevel 2 for this).
>    It is not a terrible lot of trouble to fix this after the install
>    (edit 'inittab' and stop the necessary service in rcx.d) but
>    an install option would be handy and nice.

I will second #1 as a MUST have given that Ubuntu can be installed on
a million and one different pieces of hardware.

#2 is probably one of those things that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should
be in the installer! If you are knowledgeable enough to want to boot
into a non-graphical environment and startx manually, you certainly
will know how to set the appropriate run level. It's one of those
"features" that would render a system inoperable to a regular user if
accidentally selected.

And, #3:

My vote would maybe be for a _brief_ readme to be displayed (optionally).

One for "user" migrants from Windows or Macintosh saying hello, and
perhaps describing one or two things of what to do and where to go for
help (help is one of the most frustrating things to find if you don't
have an internet connection).

Another for "advanced" users (but not experts; users who at least know
what the command line is) with a few comments on major concepts or
apps (e.g. completely OSS, sudo is used for security, NOT su or root,
different vts (ctrl-alt-Fkey to access... expert Mac OS X users for
e.g. will not know vt1-9) etc.). Keep the gobble-di-gook to a minimum
too -- high level stuff.

Eric.