new look installer... why?

Ubu Roi ravachol at home.nl
Wed Feb 9 09:50:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:38:55AM -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> -- a good installer makes for a happy customer and reviewer. I
> appreciate the simplicity of *no* configuration, but all you have to
> do is look at Mac OS X to see that simple package selection is not
> beyond the typical computer "user". OS X gives you the option to
> install language packages, a variety of printer packages (Epson, HP,
> etc.), applications, and developer tools (IIRC). Ubuntu does need a
> simple interface for such groupings -- an intermediate between the
> full blown custom (which requires a pretty hefty dose of *nix
> knowledge) and "just take our word for it" installs.

My opinion is that a slick graphical installer should not have the
highest priority at the moment.

What I would like to see is:
1) the ability to check (and maybe correct) the installers choice of
   monitor/resolution/depth/videocard selection before the end of
   install.
2) The option of choosing a non graphical boot into a console screen.
   So that you can 'startx' yourself when needed.
   (reserve runlevel 2 for this).
   It is not a terrible lot of trouble to fix this after the install
   (edit 'inittab' and stop the necessary service in rcx.d) but
   an install option would be handy and nice.

Ubu