Best way to prepare for migration to Hoary?

Michel De Gouveia afmdg at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 8 14:18:29 UTC 2005

Eamonn Sullivan a écrit :

>I'm ecstatically happy with Warty and am planning to upgrade to Hoary,
>maybe well into feature freeze/debugging, in March, or when it is
>officially released. But I want to get the maximum benefit when I do
>migrate. I've been following this strategy:
>
>-Keeping all the meta-packages -- ubunut-desktop, etc.
>(ubuntu-backports gives me firefox 1.0, which is really the only thing
>I was missing).
>
>-Booting the live CD occassionally to check on progress. It's still
>not without problems. X currently nearly or completely unusable on a
>Windows XP machine with a flat panel I'm targetting for possible
>wiping and my current Warty system with a CRT -- both using very
>recent Intel motherboards with on-board video. But the hardware is
>detected correctly (frequency and resolution options are correct in
>xorg.conf), it's just migrating to what actually starts up, so I
>remain hopeful (and filed a report to bugzilla).
>
>One happy development in the latest Hoary test live CD is that it now
>correctly recognizes and configures my wireless network card (netgear
>WG311v2). I've had to use ndiswrapper in Warty. I guess there's been
>more progress at the kernel level for the chipset. I want to make sure
>the drivers for the card are updated when I migrate to Hoary.
>
>When I do a dist-upgrade,  will there be any installer magic hardware
>detection or will all of the currently installed packages simply be
>updated? What's the best way to ensure that there's another round of
>auto-detecting? Is that done at every boot (so I can just comment-out
>ndiswrapper after upgrading and see what happens)?
>
>I know I can do dpkg-reconfigure, but that doesn't seem to have any
>auto-detection. I have to input all the settings. I suppose I could
>boot the live CD, run dpkg-reconfigure, write down all of the
>settings, and then do the same on my dist-upgraded Hoary install. Is
>that the best way?
>
>-Eamonn

I download CD Array 3 to upgrade to Hoary. It is better like you say to
download a release Array, Previews, RC to upgrade to Hoary. The daily
version is only to have a version with the new packages. I download with
jigdo. I can after do upgrade in all computer where I install ubuntu.
I install with synaptics the new linux kernel 686 2.6.10. I didn't want
reinstall a kernel 386.
After I boot with the new kernel.
I add the CD Array 3 with synaptics to my repository.
And I made upgrade (For a upgrade version, I read I had to do a upgrade
after a dist-upgrade) and after you can do dist-upgrade.
It is important to keep ubuntu-base and ubuntu-desktop for upgrade.
I wish a ubuntu-base-desktop metapackage for people who don't want use
evolution or totem-gstreamer for example.
I have Ubuntu in a laptop with nvidia card. I don't remember if I made
change  in xorg.conf  but  I don't think.

Michel