How/if to contribute with Compaq W200 wireless usb?

Ryan Thiessen ryanthiessen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 00:25:43 UTC 2005

When installing Ubuntu Linux on a Compaq laptop I ran into an issue
with the installer not detecting and configuring the built in Compaq
W200 WLAN device.  After some investigation I found that it required
the orinoco_usb kernel driver that only exists currently in cvs
(http://www.nongnu.org/orinoco/).  Building and installing the module
was no problem for me and now it works just fine with Ubuntu Linux.
But I have a feeling that many other users with this problem would not
be able to get the driver from cvs, build and install it, and put the
firmware in the firmware in the correct place.

I would love to help out the community with this somehow, but I don't
know how to proceed.  Should I make a debian package with the required
files, or two packages (one with the modules, another with the
firmware)?  Or would it be more appropriate for me to just post a
detailed HOWTO on the wiki and not package anything?  Or is the use of
bleeding-edge drivers like this not something that belongs on the wiki
at all?  Please advise on the best course of action, because I'd like
to contribute in the most appropriate manner.
--
Cheers,
-rt-