Installing a new DVD drive

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 14:40:10 UTC 2005

At 23:26 05/02/05, Mark wrote:

>Neil - I believe you do need to edit /etc/fstab to have the DVD drive
>recognized automatically.  Here's the line from my fstab:
>Code:
>--------------------
>     /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
>--------------------
>Obviously, change /dev/hdc to /dev/hdd...

Thank you very much.

The added drive in fstab showed up at once in Gnome/Nautilus.
(Well, once I'd fixed a typo in my fstab edit whch also removed the floppy
<:-| .)
VFS magic, I assume.

I did have to do one more manual stage to get things to work;  adding an
appropriately
named mount point in /media/.  So that was directory /media/dvdrom0/ and a
symbolic link
dvdrom0 in /media/ pointing to it for completeness.

Now for the horrors of installing DVD movie playback software.  My first
attempts have
collapsed under a vast number of unresolved dependencies...

Neil