Synaptic Touchpad

Santiago Erquicia santiago_erquicia at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Feb 4 19:44:36 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 12:13 +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:48:35PM -0600, Santiago Erquicia wrote:
> > I just installed Warty on a new computer that has a synaptic touchpad.
> > Everything works fine but I would like to change some settings and I
> > don't know neither if it is possible or how should I do it.
> >
> > I would like to change:
> >
> > * Get rid of the horizontal scroll or make it only scroll and don't go
> > to a previous page as it does in a web browser
>
> You can't make it scroll and not work throug the history; the way the
> history stuff works is by hijacking horizontal scrolling for its own
> nefarious purposes.
>
> > * When I press the pad (I think it is call tap in??) to make a click, I
> > want it to be a left-click and not a middle-click as it is by default.
> > I want it to be the same as in windows.
>
> The default is to left-click.

Every time that I click over the touchpad in firefox, for example, it
opens the link in a new tab.  If I click over a tab, it closes it.  This
is the normal behavior of the middle click button.

This is my XFree config file:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
	Option		"SHMConfig"		"on"
EndSection

> > * I want to make it less touch  sensible.  Right now, maybe I just touch
> > it with my hand when trying to write something in the keyboard (it is
> > really close) and suddenly my cursor moves to other place and makes me
> > do a lot of mistakes
> >
> > Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> If you look at the settings with 'synclient -l', there should be some
> sensitivity-related settings for you to adjust.

This is the output of that command:

santiago at ubuntu:~ $ synclient -l
Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge             = 1900
    RightEdge            = 5400
    TopEdge              = 1900
    BottomEdge           = 4000
    FingerLow            = 25
    FingerHigh           = 30
    MaxTapTime           = 180
    MaxTapMove           = 220
    MaxDoubleTapTime     = 180
    ClickTime            = 100
    EmulateMidButtonTime = 75
    VertScrollDelta      = 100
    HorizScrollDelta     = 100
    MinSpeed             = 0.02
    MaxSpeed             = 0.18
    AccelFactor          = 0.0015
    EdgeMotionMinZ       = 30
    EdgeMotionMaxZ       = 160
    EdgeMotionMinSpeed   = 1
    EdgeMotionMaxSpeed   = 200
    EdgeMotionUseAlways  = 0
    UpDownScrolling      = 1
    TouchpadOff          = 0
    GuestMouseOff        = 0
    LockedDrags          = 0
    RTCornerButton       = 2
    RBCornerButton       = 3
    LTCornerButton       = 0
    LBCornerButton       = 0
    TapButton1           = 1
    TapButton2           = 2
    TapButton3           = 3
    CircularScrolling    = 0
    CircScrollDelta      = 0.1
    CircScrollTrigger    = 0

I played with the values and this is what happened:

HorizScrollDelta=0
	Solves the horizontal scrolling by deactivating it
TapButton2 = 2
	Made one click to do the left-click

Is that last one how it should be?

Santiago